Can Poodles Eat Peanut Butter? Discover The Facts

It’s apparent that some of the foods that humans eat are just as tasty and safe for dogs. Talk of chicken, fish, apples, meat, eggs, greens, bananas, and more. However, there still exists some human foods that most pet parents can’t tell whether they are safe or toxic to dogs. A case in point is peanut butter. But is it safe for dogs?

Well, peanut butter is a tasty treat for dogs. However, you have to ensure that you give it in moderation. You also have to confirm that it doesn’t contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener toxic to dogs.

Why Peanut Butter Is Good For Your Poodle

As earlier mentioned, contrary to popular belief, peanut butter isn’t harmful for Poodles. But it’s an occasional treat, not a regular diet plan.

Studies show that this nutty spread is very rich in protein and vitamins E, B3, B5, B6, niacin, and folic acid. These nutrients will for sure boost your pooch’s energy levels.

In addition, the fats in peanut butter will help with your dog’s skin. It is also great for their teeth. The oils present in this spread are good for cleaning the plaque off the top of your poodle’s mouth.

You can use peanut butter to massage your poodle or simply put some on its toothbrush before brushing them with a toothpaste made specifically for dogs. This will help keep your dog’s teeth strong and clean.

A Few Things To Remember Before Giving Your Poodle Peanut Butter

While it may be a healthy treat, it’s worth noting that you should still be careful when feeding your Poodle peanut butter.

First of all, remember that this is a treat and you shouldn’t give your dog too much or else it will cause health problems. This nutty butter contains a high level of fat, an average of 50% per serving.

Unfortunately, a dog’s stomach isn’t as strong as a human’s and peanut butter can cause stomach problems if your poodle eats too much of it at once. So you should be careful with the amount of peanut butter you give them.

Secondly, you need to verify that the peanut butter doesn’t contain xylitol. As you may already know, this artificial sweetener is toxic to dogs. You can find it in many food products and candies, among others.

Thirdly, there’s also the fact that some dogs are allergic to nuts and peanut butter consists primarily of peanuts. Therefore, before you give in to those pleading eyes of your furbaby, you have to confirm that they’re not allergic first.

See also  Can Poodles Eat Eggs? Are They Safe?

Last but not least, there is a common misconception that dogs can eat chocolate and peanut butter at the same time. However, this isn’t recommended as chocolate contains caffeine called theobromine which is harmful to your dog’s health.

A Few Things To Remember Before Giving Your Poodle Peanut Butter

What Is Xylitol?

Xylitol is one thing that poses a risk to your dog when ingested. But have you ever wondered what Xylitol is and why it’s so dangerous to our furbabies?

Let’s examine that…

As stated earlier, Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many food products. It’s common in sugar-free gums, candies, and baked goods.

It is also found in toothpaste, allergy medications, nasal spray, children’s chewable multivitamins, ear drops for dogs with mites or yeast infections, etc.

Xylitol is actually harmless to humans as our bodies produce the substances needed to digest it.

However, this isn’t the same for canines as they don’t have those enzymes that break down Xylitol. This causes a rapid release of insulin which can lead to a sudden decrease in blood sugar levels and liver failure later on.

So if you’ve been giving your furbaby some of these food products, be sure to keep them away from your dog.

You can tell that food has Xylitol by looking for “Sugar-Free” or “Contains Xylitol”. If it does, then stay far away from your dog.

When Poodles ingest Xylitol, it may cause;

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness or Lethargy
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Loss of coordination
  • Decreased blood sugar levels
  • Liver failure
  • Decrease in body temperature
  • Death, etc.

These symptoms appear 10 to 60 minutes after ingestion which is why it’s important for you to monitor your dog closely during that time.

You should take your pup to a vet immediately if they show any of these symptoms or if they have eaten a food product with Xylitol in it. Be sure to keep all such products away from them at all times!

However, even if your Poodle isn’t showing any of these signs but you suspect that they may have ingested something with Xylitol, you should also get in touch with a vet as soon as

But the good news is that it’s not difficult to prevent your dog from eating Xylitol. All you have to do is read the ingredients on any food product you buy before giving it to them. If they show the words “

What Is The Healthiest Peanut Butter For Dogs?

What Is The Healthiest Peanut Butter For Dogs?

Now that not all peanut butters are worth grabbing for your dog, you may wonder what the healthiest one is.

Well, it isn’t easy to say which one suits your dog best since all dogs have a different preference in taste and a different dietary need.

See also  Can Poodles Live In Apartments? A Complete Guide

You can go for organic peanut butter or natural peanut butter which doesn’t contain ingredients such as hydrogenated oils.

You should also consider looking for salt-free peanut butter. Usually, dogs can tolerate salt well but sometimes it may cause stomach upset in some pups. So it’s better to be on the safe side and check first before you decide to give your dog some salted variety of peanut butter.

Also, ensure that you stay away from any peanut butter that contains additives. These are chemicals that your dog doesn’t need in their food.

But if you’re still not sure which peanut butter to purchase, then the best thing to do is ask your vet for advice.

How Much Peanut Butter Should You Give Your Poodle?

First of all, you should bear in mind that too much of anything isn’t good for your pup. It’s true that peanut butter may be good for you but it’s not recommended to give too much of it to your pup as it can have adverse effects on your dogs well-being.

You should only feed them a small amount at first and see how they react to it before giving more.

Also, remember that the healthier the peanut butter, the higher the fat and calorie content.

There are two ways you can tell the perfect amount for your Poodle.

The first and most reliable is to seek advice from your vet. They’ll be able to give you a recommended serving size based on your dog’s weight.

Secondly, you can use the one is to ten ratio formula. What that means is, if you choose to give your dog peanut butter, then it should only account for 10% of your Poodle’s daily calorie intake.

What Happens When You Give Your Poodle Excess Peanut Butter?

While it’s a healthy treat when taken in small amounts, too much of it can lead to digestive problems in your dog.

The main reason for this is that since peanut butter is high in fiber, it’s not easy to digest which results in things such as;

  • Vomiting
  • Excess gas production
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloated stomach
  • Stomach upset

The Long-term effects of feeding your Poodle excess peanut butter can also be detrimental to their health. For example, your dog can develop problems such as;

Of course, none of these conditions is to be taken lightly, and that’s why it’s essential that you feed them peanut butter in small doses.

See also  Can Poodles Have Blue Eyes? (And If Healthy)

How To Give Your Dog Peanut Butter?

The best way for your Poodle to enjoy peanut butter is by giving them it as a spread.

You can give them their treat for the day in the form of sandwich. Just make sure that you remove all seeds and breadcrumbs before you do so. These can cause digestive issues if your dog ingests them.

Also, don’t forget to use smooth peanut butter. You don’t want your Poodle to get hurt by the peanuts that are in the product.

Since it’s usually high in fat, you can either mix it with their kibble to help them burn the extra calories or use it as a treat and not a meal replacement.

How To Tell That Your Poodle Is Allergic to Peanut Butter

There are a couple of symptoms that will indicate if your Poodle is allergic to peanut butter. Once again, the best way to determine this is by asking a vet for advice since they know exactly what’s good and bad for your dog.

You may also know that your pup is allergic to it by looking out for the following signs;

  • Red skin
  • Itching
  • Bald spots
  • Swelling of the skin
  • Hives
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Whenever you see any of these signs after giving your dog peanut butter, make a vet appointment as soon as possible to get to the root of the problem.

If you’re aware that your dog has a peanut allergy, then it’s best to avoid giving them any product that contains peanuts. This includes peanut butter as well. Not only will it harm their health in the long term, but it can also cause life-threatening conditions such as anaphylactic shock.

Final Verdict:

According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), peanut butter is not bad for your Poodle provided that you give them it in small doses. It also needs to be free from Xylitol, additives, and salts.

Where free from all these ingredients, peanut butter has some health benefits for your pups. However, it’s good to keep in mind that too much of it will do more harm than good, both in the long run and short run.

Also, it’s worth knowing that some dogs are allergic to peanuts, and that means they are also allergic to peanut butter. If that applies to your Poodle, then you must avoid feeding them it.

Leave a Comment