When it comes to choosing a dog breed, trainability is the most important factor. And if you are the one who is planning to own your first pet, you would not want a breed that is hard to train. Moreover, if a breed is difficult to train, then you cannot expect good manners in them quickly. In this blog, we will know whether Rottweiler is easy to train or not.
In short, yes, Rottweiler is easy to train. However, this situation depends on numerous factors. One of them is how you train the dog and the procedure which you follow.
Do not worry, we will also share the most effective methods to train a Rottweiler in this read.
How is training easy for Rottweiler?
Yes, Rottweiler is easy to train, if you start training from an early age. They are also easy to train, as they are one of the most intelligent breeds in the world. Overall, you won’t face any issue with training them. However, the effect of training may change, as per the method you choose. In the upcoming sections, we will share the most effective ways to train a Rottweiler.
Understanding the Rottweiler breed
Before we jump to the training tips, you need to understand the personality of a Rottweiler. These dogs are one of the most aggressive and smartest breeds in the world. They are courageous, bold, and friendly, which makes them the perfect watchdog. However, they are not highly social, and they like to interact with limited people, especially their owners. Hence, you need to keep an eye on the social habits of the breed.
You should make them interact with other dogs around them. It is also recommended that you do not leave the dog alone for a long duration. Why? Because, they cannot bear the loneliness for long, leading to depression or stress.
You also have to be a leader, if you want to raise a Rottweiler. Through proper training, these dogs can also get along with kids. However, for that, you need to involve kids in the training procedure.
Here are some tips to train a Rottweiler.
- First of all, you need to make sure that you start the training of this breed at an early age as much as possible. Dogs tend to learn easily in puppyhood, as compared to adulthood. This is even applicable to Rottweiler. If you train a puppy Rottweiler, then you will observe better results in a short period.
- Secondly, you need to ensure that you start with basic training commands. What are the basic commands? Well, these commands are the simplest for the dog to understand. Moreover, they require little effort, as compared to other commands. Some of them are ‘Sit,’ ‘Go,’ ‘Fetch,’ and ‘Stay.’ Do make sure that during these commands you remain calm and patient with the dog.
- As already stated, Rottweiler is also one of the most aggressive dogs in the world. Due to this, they have the instinct to bite and attack. As a puppy, you will observe the dog trying to bite you. Many dog owners let the dog bite their hands, which is extremely dangerous in the long run. If you let the dog bite you even once, then the dog will think it is fine to bite others. This habit will grow, as an adult, as you will observe the dog trying to bite you with the powerful jaw. Hence, you need to make sure that you never let the dog bite anyone. Even if they do, then you need to reprimand them.
- You also need to learn the correct method to warn them when they do something wrong or refrains to listen to your commands. Many dog owners reprimand by scolding or hitting the dog. However, these methods are completely ineffective and will surely backfire. How? Well, if you scold or hit the dog, then it will get annoyed or will fear you. In this condition, you will not be able to connect with the dog. This will subsequently lead to weak bonding between you and your dog. For instance, let us say your dog is not listening to any of your commands. Now, you must show the treat to the dog and repeat the command, or use a little force to make the dog obey your command. If the dog obeys, then give the treat.
- This step is probably the most important. Dogs don’t understand verbal commands and cannot grab any verbal commands during training. Hence, you need to start using hand movements while training them. For instance, if you want the dog to sit down, then you may point the finger on the ground. Similarly, you can reprimand them with hand movements, like you can tap their nose to reprimand them, or you can create your own movement to reprimand. The basic idea is to create a strong communication with the dog.
- Lastly, you need to ensure that every family member is involved in the training process. You need to let the dog identify its owners, relatives, friends, and neighbors. You should also make your dog explore the area around your house. This is an extremely important step if you want the dog to be friendly with kids and other pets in the house.
In the end, you should understand that Rottweiler is easy to train, but you may observe a little stubborn nature. However, if you train them at an early age, then they will grasp the commands quickly.
We have also discussed the basic personality of a Rottweiler. You must never do anything, which goes against its basic principles. We have also shared the most effective methods to train a Rottweiler. Do make sure that you remain consistent and patient with the training procedure.
Moreover, you may contact professional trainers near you for additional support or guidance. Lastly, a Rottweiler is better, as a watchdog than a family dog. Thus, the training should be to make it a good watchdog.