It is a well-known fact that dogs are the best companions for humans. They are jovial and empathetic. But some of us are allergic to beasts, also known as fur allergies. This is one of the reasons why getting a pet dog for ourselves is a matter to think about. It is important to understand that not all dog breeds are hyper-allergenic. Expert breeders have conducted many experiments in this regard to come up with confirmed results.
Is Havanese Hypoallergenic? Yes, Havanese breed of dogs is one of the breeds, which are hypoallergenic in nature. They are small and have silky hair. They are adorably cute. You can adopt breed of this kind even if you are allergic. It is also the preferable breed to adopt in case the owners have a history of allergy yet are fond of dogs.
What are hypoallergenic dogs?
Breeds that do not negatively impact your health in case you are allergic to dog dander can be described as hypoallergenic dogs, although there is no dog breed, which is completely hypoallergenic. However, it can be possible that the allergens, which trigger your immune system malfunction, are less prevalent in some of the breeds compared to the rest. Breeds like Havanese, Shi Tzu, Maltese are known to be hypoallergenic.
History of the Havanese breed
Havanese were named after the capital city of Cuba. They are an extended family member of Bichons. This family also includes the Bolognese, Bichon Frise, and Coton de Tulear. It is said that these breeds were brought from Spain to Cuba during the 18th Century. The Havanese breed is believed to be a cross between the Blanquito de le Habana and Bichon Tenerife. Both of these having silky hair and are small in size.
The Havanese breed first made their way to the United States in the late 1950s. During the Cuban revolution, the refugees brought these munchkins to America. These gained more popularity for their small size and adorable big eyes. In the 1970s, a number of popular celebrities and rock stars from that era owned Havanese pups. Since then, these pups have been gaining more popularity with time.
Havanese; All you need to know:
- Havanese dogs have amazing friendly nature and adjustable instinct, which makes them a great companion for families, singles, and couples. They are playful, empathetic, and highly energetic dogs.
- Havanese breeds come with a wide variety of colors; Mahogany, classic Havana Brown, Black, White, etc. They have long-glossy-wavy hair. Usually, their hairs are of more than one color. This makes them even more beautiful.
- Their behavior is also very friendly. They do not bark or drool much. They produce a lot less dander than other breeds.
- This breed only grows up to 11 inches tall and weighs a maximum of 15 pounds. This feature makes them the perfect dog for you if you have a small place or studio apartment. They are adaptable to both small and large spaces, making it easier for people to own.
- This sweet little pup is highly affectionate. They love their owner’s attention and thrive on it. Needless to say, they are your best companions. In addition to these, what makes them even more lovable is their incredibly loyal nature.
- These little creatures are always curious and intelligent as well. Although they act a little shy to communicate with the guests in your house, they get familiar with new people faster than the other breeds.
- They follow you everywhere and do not like to stay alone. Havanese dogs are an excellent choice to own if you have a child as they do not require much daily activity. Just a short backyard run or a couple of play hours with them will complete their daily activity requirements.
- They can withstand summer heat as well and can acclimatize to hot and humid climatic regions. But in very cold climates, where the temperature reaches subzero, it is recommended to not adopt Havanese.
Why are Havanese dogs hypoallergenic?
This adorable breed is considered hypoallergenic for two major reasons.
Their coat is double layered; they hardly shed any hair and is silky smooth. This indicates that they will produce a lot less dander compared to other furry breeds. As they do not shed that much hair, dander will not fly like a speck of dust in your house. So, the chances of getting allergic reactions are very less.
Generally, their saliva drips on the floor and the allergens present in it stays on the ground for a long period of time. Havanese dogs drool a lot less than other breeds. This makes them hypoallergenic as the chances of spreading dander become lesser.
To be very sure that you are not getting exposed to allergens, you can brush their hairs (with masks on) outside the house. This will give you maximum assurance.
No dog is completely hypoallergenic:
This gives a fact-check that no matter what anyone claims, no dog is 100% hypoallergenic. Dogs like Havanese or Labradoodle don’t have the traits which promote allergen dissipation, but they shed some amount of hair. These hairs are just like our old dead skin. They get aged, and they shed. A natural process cannot be prevented. These breeds are genetically gifted to not shed much hair. But there is always a probability that even one hair follicle can carry allergens.
How can you tell if you are allergic to Havanese?
Havanese breeds, although they have been proven to be hypoallergenic in maximum studies, they can never be completely hypoallergenic for the entire human population. Some people are highly sensitive to allergens. They cannot come in close contact with dogs whatsoever. The best way to find out if you are allergic to Havanese pups is to spend time with one in a closed room. You will notice allergic symptoms within an hour if you are allergic. You can take this test by going to a Havanese breeder. Tell them about your conditions and take the test.
Being allergic to dogs and other pets are really sad as you cannot go near these joyful and heart-warming creatures. Being allergic to pets is not someone’s fault. It is just a genetic imbalance.
Breeds like Havanese enable you to enjoy their company and take them home. They make your life happy and show you support whenever you need it. But you should always be careful regarding your health conditions and take a test before getting one for yourself.