How To Make A Dog Throw Up?

Dogs are faithful and obedient. They always look forward to pleasing their pet parents and staying in close contact with them. Some are attention seekers as well. But they also turn naughty, especially when you are not around. There are instances when they become destructive in behavior. Some also tend to show aggressiveness and extensive chewing. During these instances, they may ingest some harmful chemicals or poisonous liquids. Vomiting is the only way to reduce the risks.

How to induce vomiting in a dog? Vomiting reduces the health hazards of ingesting poisonous substances before the body absorbs it. Hydrogen peroxide in a specific amount can induce vomiting in dogs. But one must also be aware of the situations when there may be higher risks of vomiting. Excessive vomiting may cause injuries to the trachea or esophagus.  

Canines have a habit of chewing household items. They cannot differentiate between edible and non-edible items. It is the reason why they end up ingesting things which are harmful to their body. As a pet parent, you must be aware of such instances and take necessary precautions.

Instances when inducing vomiting is necessary.

It is advisable always to supervise dogs at home and outdoors. But at times, when there are no other options, you may have to leave your dog alone for some time.

It is during these intervals when most of the accidents occur. They may either mess up your interiors or may end up eating unwanted objects.

Vomiting can help in reducing health hazards due to eating harmful things. Some of these are as follows.

1. Poison:

Almost every household keeps toxins for killing notorious rats or mice. These are usually held in the low-lying areas or corners of the house. Some also prefer keeping it behind the doors. Your pet dog may be roaming around in the house. On noticing these small items, they may identify them as eatables. Mouse or rat killing biscuits or dough are poisonous for dogs too.

2. Engine coolant:

These are also known as antifreeze that helps in cooling down the engines in cars. They are in the form of liquid and contain different concentrations of alcohol. Your pet dogs may find the smell of antifreeze fascinating. Your silly mistake of keeping these cooling agents within reach of dogs may cost a lot. They are also harmful to young children at home.

3. Drugs:

 In your absence, your canine may look out for activities to keep himself busy. To engage themselves, they might look for dirty laundry, shoes, and other belongings. They may even consume your medicated drugs out of curiosity. These medicines can be for different purposes in humans. Consuming by dogs can cause severe imbalances in their body. Some can also be fatal if taken in large quantities.

4. Chemicals:

Your garden may have various pesticides for keeping weeds away. In the same way, washrooms may have cleaning or disinfecting liquids. The sense of smell in dogs is different than in humans. Without knowing, they may consume these harmful chemicals while you are away.

5. Chocolates:

Many pet owners face the situation when their pets eat up chocolates. It usually happens as they are like their taste when given as treats. But consuming chocolates in high quantities is dangerous for pets. The content of cocoa and theobromine is toxic to them. They increase the natural heartbeat and widen the blood vessels.

Dogs vomiting

Appropriate steps of vomit-inducing in Dogs

Whenever you notice that your dog is behaving unnatural, try to identify the reason. Examine if your dog had recently consumed any harmful or toxic substances. A thorough search is necessary here. Also, note the symptoms for further reference.

On realizing that your pet has ingested toxic items, you must try to induce vomiting. Although it might seem displeasing, this is the only way to remove it. Vomiting can reduce the hazards before the body starts absorbing it.

But you need to follow specific necessary steps while doing so. Below are a few actions that you must take when your dog consumes harmful chemicals.

Action 1: Identifying the substance

Try to identify the chemical that your dog ingested. Assure yourself that it is the correct action to take. 

Action 2: Ensure the quantity

Once you realize what kind of chemical it was, note down the quantity also. For example, in the case of chocolates, check the amount mentioned in the packaging. In disinfectants, you must record the bottle’s size or the amount left in it.

Action 3: Move your dog to another location

To reduce the mess, make sure to help your dog move to another room. You can also try inducing vomit in the bathroom. It will reduce your cleaning efforts later. If your pet dog is a large breed, you can move him to the lawn or balcony. But make sure the area has running water. If your pet is very weak, try carrying to the desired location. Do not compel him to walk himself, to prevent injuries.

Action 4: Try feeding his meal

Although it might seem inappropriate, it will help in inducing vomiting. Give him his favorite treat or small bits of bread, the ones that he won’t refuse. If he still refuses, try to put it in his mouth. Yet, you must make sure that you do not waste too much time in this step.  

Action 5: Seek a doctor’s help

Call up your veterinarian immediately. Inform him about the suspected chemical that your pet ingested. Also, do not forget to mention the quantity and time. Inform him about the present symptoms and behavior and your dog’s breed, age, and size. 

You should not try any medication or induce vomiting until your doctor advises. In case you are unable to contact a doctor, call up the nearest poison control center.

Action 6: Quantity of Hydrogen Peroxide

Once your pet is advice to induce vomiting, give your pet 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can find it in any pharmacy. Ask your doctor about the amount that is preferable for your dog as per his body weight. To be precise in quantity, use a measuring cup or spoon. Providing an unknown amount can have adverse effects on his health. It can deteriorate further. Thus, it would help if you were very careful while measuring.

Action 7: Feed your dog the measured amount of hydrogen peroxide

For easy feeding, you can use a dropper that usually is available with medicines. You can find one at home. Or buy it along with hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy.

Use your hands to open your dog’s mouth wide. You may wear tear-resistant gloves to remain safe in case he bites. Use the dropper and reach the end of the tongue as far as possible.

You must note here that there is no need to dilute the hydrogen peroxide in water or other edible items.

Action 8: Stimulate vomiting

After finishing the process of feeding him hydrogen peroxide, do not sit idle in one place. You must take him out for a stroll. Let him graze in the grasses. Some dogs like eating grasses, as it also helps in inducing vomit.

Action 9: Have patience

Hydrogen peroxide will take some time to react in the body. Within a few minutes, he should spit out the undigested materials in the stomach. If it does not happen, give him another dosage of the same 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Avoid inducing vomit in dogs.

Before you administer hydrogen peroxide and induce vomiting, be sure about the substances. In case of ingesting bleach or gasoline, do not induce vomiting. Likewise, do not try to make him vomit if he ate glass, plastic, or other materials. While vomiting, these minute particles may go into the respiratory system. It will result in difficulty breathing.  

Thus, you must analyze the items consumed and contact a veterinarian immediately. Induce vomiting in your dog, only after his advice.

Symptoms of poisoning in dogs

Look out for the following signs in your dogs. These may be a symptom of consuming toxic substances. 

  • Unable to breathe
  • Destructive behavior
  • Aggressiveness
  • Rolling on the floor 
  • Anxiety
  • Seizures
  • Fluctuating rate of heartbeat
  • Sudden fall due to unconsciousness

Tips for handling your dog to prevent ingesting poisonous substances

As a pet parent, you must never leave your pet alone. You must follow the below-mentioned tips for the safety of your dog.

  • Keep all toxic substances out of reach. Use the cabinets at the higher places. It will ensure your pet cannot reach it.
  • Keep chocolates and other cocoa products away. 
  • Make sure you have a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide at home for emergency cases.
  • Keep in touch with Poison Control Centers and keep their contact details handy.
  • Do not panic during these situations. You must try to remain calm and act as required. 
  • Try to avoid leaving your dog alone for a long time.
  • Provide him obedience training. He must know which places he should not enter and avoid. 
  • Provide him with dog toys and puzzles to remain engaged to avoid loneliness. 

As pet lovers, one must ensure that pet dogs are safe and under protection. It would be helpful if you tried to avoid these poisoning instances as far as possible. With proper precautionary measures mitigating the risks are achievable.

References:

Was this post helpful?

Leave a Comment